ALGARVE CAR HIRE - History Bits



Alvor


 

Alvor Algarve - Car HireAlvor's long history has been traced to the Roman times.

The discovery of a Neolithic village on Vila Velha hill, overlooking the Ria de Alvor,  retain traces of the Roman occupation.
Alvor was a thriving port under the Moorish rule

The port was conquered in 1189 by King Sancho I who led the Portuguese army, (with  help from the Crusaders en route to the Holy Land) only to be retaken by the Moors.

Alvor returned to Christian dominion in 1250.

Alvor was given town status by King João II, who died there in 1495.

In the 15th and 16th centuries Alvor was rich and prosperous, but in the earthquake of 1755 it suffred badly, and Alvor would never regain its former splendour.


Today, Alvor is a picturesque fishing village, with narrow streets, white houses and colourful boats. We can see the fishermen preparing their catch around the old fishing market.

The main church in Alvor was built in the 16th century, and rebuilt in the 18th century. The main doorway is profusely decorated. The side door is in the Manueline style. The three supporting columns to the the naves, the fonts and the triumphal arch of the altar are all part of the original structure. The carved retable on the high altar, with its impressive life-size statue of Jesus, is from the 18th century.This small, but important church also contains polychrome tiles with 18th century figurative panels - the Washing of the Feet and the Last Supper - several statues and tombs.
Alvor castle has disappeared. Only two stretches of wall that were once part of the fortress can be seen.

The Ria de Alvor, is a bird watcher  It's the nesting place of dozens of species of migratory bird, and also supports an interesting variety of animal life..

Alvor also has one of the finest beaches, the Meia Praia, in the Algarve.

 

D. Portugal algarve-car-hire

                 

PortugalCars.co.uk
part of PortugalOnLine group
Algarve Car Hire | Portugal Car Hire
taking care about your driving holidays